Friday, December 19, 2008

Why Can't We Be Friends

I was studying for my politics final today (ok, so I wrote this a while ago and forgot about it completly and am only now posting it) and reading about ethnic conflict. Its incredibly sad and very complicated. I am taking obviously only one very simple point from everything I read to say this: discrimination is bad. Why do you have to hate people who are different from you. I mean, I was flipping channels the other night and I came across the movie Splash just when Eugene Levy was chasing Daryl Hannah with a bucket of water so he could pour it on her and prove she was a mermaid. Eventually he is succesful outside a big event where there are cameras and press. He sprays her with water and her fins are reveiled. Tom Hanks freaks out and doesnt save her from the security guards who take her away to be tested on. This is just not right. Daryl hannah wasn't hurting anyone (and in fact, this movie was made before she got scary looking from too much plastic surgery-cuz now shes kiiinda hurting my eyes) she was just trying to live her life with Tom Hanks. My point? Leave different creatures alone, most are friendly. ET almost died when the government was doing testing on him (not to mention elliot too). He, like daryl hannah, didn't hurt anyone. It was just wrong. Admittedly not every creature is good. Take the aliens from independence day for example. Those were some bad motherfuckers and it was probably for the best that Will Smith and Hank Azaria look alike killed them. But for the most part, leave other creatures alone. Mermaids never hurt anyone, they just walk around kinda naked making long alanis morsette hair (that would be hair long enough to cover your naked boobs) cool. So to sum up, leave other creatures and beings alone, unless of course, the are "Independence Day" aliens. Then beat them to a bloody paulp and don't ask questions.

No comments: