Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Random Thoughts

Stanford professor Thomas Sowell, a well known conservative economist and social critic, begins his daily column with the aforementioned title. What usually follows are several terse, aggravatingly ignorant, and often racially charged remarks mainly about politics and the economy. As a black man, he loves turning conventional assumptions about the state of African Americans on their side, often blaming democrats and welfare programs for ‘keeping black people down.’ White conservatives love this guy. He makes them feel less responsible for societal problems, he says everything that they want to say but don't out of fear of sounding racist, and ironically for many, he’s the only black person that they can relate to or respect.
Anyways, the only reason I say this is because I liked his idea of random thoughts and I felt prompted more than ever to write something today.

I was walking with my sister and brother today through the two weirdest isles of the Frys Electronic establishment. Most of Frys looks like your regular large electronics establishment (Best Buy or Futureshop). These two isles however, seem to be filled with shit I would only find in those creepy yet awesome catalogues that my roommates and i look through when we dream about the possibilities of having a pinball machine, an electronic roommate, or in one most serious case, a hot dog toaster for our dear friend Gregorio. Today, sitting on display in full glory, was the exact same toaster! Apparently, this is quite a coveted product, cause all that was left was the one on display. I was thrilled anyways, even when the guy told me he didn’t have the box or the manual, and that he wouldn’t give me any discount. I handed the man 21 dollars and walked out with my new pride and joy.
However, today I learned that things sold in weird catalogues and castaway isles in second rate electronics shops should never be trusted, as their poor construction becomes obscured by even the savviest consumer (ok maybe not the savviest but definitely the most well-intentioned), sold on the possibility of having found the greatest invention known to man, the answer to all of his personal riddles. Such wonder and excitement inevitably makes the fall so very hard. Upon attempting a preliminary toast on a small piece of bread, the machine began smoking as soon as I plugged it in. Broken after one try. Yeats was right when he said the innocent and the beautiful have no enemy but time.

That’s all I got right now, but you can expect shorter and more random thoughts to continue.

2 comments:

Bernice said...

oh hell yeah

The Kid said...

i refuse to believe that the marshmellow gun would have the same fate.