Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Things I think about at 3 in the morning...

So, I have a 10 page Buddhism paper due at 1:30. I like religion, it's nice, and it's like mythology. But my god all Buddhisms are the same. Things that are going through my mind:

1. Buddha Buddha Buddha Buddha Buddha pancake Buddha Buddha...
2. I want a greater vehicle.
3. Can you really convert to Islam by claiming that there is no god but god and that the prophet is his messenger?
4. That episode of Prison Break I watched at 2 o'clock was pretty good, but Prison Break always makes me sad.
5. There's a Virgin Mary shaped like a mountain sitting on my desk - why?
6. Buddha
7. I wish I could attain enlightenment by spilling a jug of water. And as the water mixes with the earth my conscience can gush forth and blend with all of reality.
8. That must be a shocking water spill.
9. Chapeau is a really cute name for the circumflex.
10. I want to float on a lotus.

Now it is time to stare at a piece of paper and try to read things that are written on it. Thankfully it's not in Urdu.

13 comments:

Bernice said...

actually to convert to islam you gotta say that three times.
so, kinda.

mer-triaquatrihydroxoiron(II) said...

really? three times? why was i not aware of this? i know you have to say "i divorce you" three times to get that through, but was not aware of the converting thing.
i wonder if anybody actually says "i divorce you" twice and then changes their minds.

Bernice said...

yeah
at least according to my judaism prof.
he didnt specify if it was three times in a row, and i kinda felt like being a shit disturber and asking
but i didnt.

mer-triaquatrihydroxoiron(II) said...

actually i'm pretty sure it's once. at least when kids are born the shahadah is whispered into their ear - once. and i saw some chick convert once, she did it once. maybe a pakistan thing? unlikely.

Mr. Skylight said...

Beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

Do you have to say it three times in a row, or three times total? I can imagine mean husbands going "You stupid cow, you forgot to tape Prison Break like I asked you to! This is the last straw! Divorce, divorce... SIKE, it's all right; I don't even watch Prison Break. Come get a kiss."

Also! Is it culturally insensitive if that reminds me of "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home"?

mer-triaquatrihydroxoiron(II) said...

i think you might have to do it three times in a row. in front of a witness. as in, it's the official getting divorced way. you go to court, and look lovingly at your wife and say "i divorce you, i divorce you, i divorce you". and then they hold hands and go home.

also no, it is not culturally insensitive if it reminds you of other things that are also said three times.

Bernice said...

"i divorce you
i divorce you
...oh wait.
i'm not sure i want to divorce you"
Judge: it is done
"oh rats"

mer-triaquatrihydroxoiron(II) said...

hahah... fail.

mer-triaquatrihydroxoiron(II) said...

according to iranian culture, you are supposed to ask the woman three times to accept "this man as your husband" before she replies. it's how they play hard to get.

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

In the far less culturally significant Piers Anthony series "Split Infinity," the dude has to say "thee" to his unicorn lover three times and then they're officially married. What's up with this three business? Sexual dimorphism anyone?

("Yes please!")

mer-triaquatrihydroxoiron(II) said...

haha, a unicorn lover. do you think "third time's a charm" has anything to do with that?
i'm gonna guess - probably.

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

This is now officially the most-commented post. By the way.

Congratulations, mer.