Friday, December 5, 2008

The Priority List

Given that I just had my exam in communications I would like to bring something to everyones attention I found kinda odd (or just plain funny) when I was studying.
Digital Rights Management (DRM) which if you didn't know, its a way of encrypting things (cds, files, really anything ...digital). There isn't just one way its done. For instance, they have DRM technologies on some dvd players so you cannot play a recorded dvd, or hook one dvd player up to anyother and copy on dvd to the other. When you buy a song on iTunes and they only let you put it on five computers and make you put in a password...that is a result of a DRM. This was brought up in my communications class because DRM is used in media more than anything else. They advance the technology for the entertainment world more than anything else. They are used more in the music industry than the military. It just seems like something the military should probably taking advantage of. I mean, not OUR military. Our military is like 12 guys and an Uzi, but the American military. Or, I don't know, British intellegence. Anything along those lines. DRM's are used more often to make sure I can't copy "womanizer," than they are in aiding the governement of military. I had a lecture or terrorism where my T.A. said there was very little the government could do to stop terrorists, I suggest they look into some encription technology. Im sure Britney will share

2 comments:

Weaselbag said...

Not all iTunes songs are encoded with DRM files - I bought an album on iTunes just last week. They call the non-DRM songs "iTunes plus", and you can put them on as many iPods as you want.

I thought that it was used most by artists who need more exposure, but that isn't necessarily the case. Some big name artists are now offering DRM-free files on iTunes.

Mr. Skylight said...

There are two flaws in your suggestion.

1) The 9 spelling mistakes (make that 10 flaws)

2) "There is a bifurcation between civilian and military encryption. Military and intelligence algorithms are not publicly available, while civilian algorithms are mandated against for most military and intelligence applications. Further, while civilian encryption can be done in software, military encryption is generally (always) done in hardware to reduce the possibility of bypassing or corrupting the encryption process. "

Besides, in terms of British intelligence, James Bond has way more kick-ass shit than the little thing that pops up when I try to listen to iTunes store songs.