Saturday, November 29, 2008

I'd Rather be a Montrealer...

A few days back I was standing on my street corner and started looking around. As I did so, I started noticing things that were very apparent to me when I first moved here, but since then had become sort of ordinary. When we get used to something we stop noticing why we liked it in the first place, and the sheer awesomeness of it somehow gets lost and dulled down because of all the other things that are going on in our lives. Exams, relationships, friends, groceries, assignments, plays, concerts, coffee - there's always something to focus on, something to occupy the mind with. But the other day, when I stood there, I stood still. I didn't need to be anywhere, I wasn't waiting for anything, I had no plans and no purpose. I just stood, and I saw the beauty of Montreal. The bare trees, the old architecture, the street signs, the people, the sound, the smell, the cold - I saw all of it, and I loved all of it. The rest of that day was great, because I remembered that I am in a city I love. I have never lived somewhere that I liked this much. I've liked the places where I've lived, but because of attachments and people, not because of the cities in themselves. Montreal is different, everything about it makes me happy. Even though it's been crappy all day, and the sun set at 3:30pm, I'd rather be here than anywhere else.
I think I might've found the place that I can one day call home.

1 comment:

friend from afar said...

Smell,
mer, it all comes down to smell.
my olfactory workshop has been failing me, lately,
but when I make the effort
and when I take the time
to fill up my lungs through my nose I think what you wrote
is how I feel.
So thanks
for putting it in words.