Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Nature of The Pick Up

It's Wednesday night and I'm riding my bike downtown to meet a friend for 60s night at Strangelove. (Turns out she doesn't have ID so it's a moot point for the night, but we find minimal techno, beer and wings and it's all good.)

I'm waiting by a stoplight on my bike to get to where I need to be when a car pulls up. It doesn't quite register, but I turn my head and finally realize that I'm being talked at. Car window rolls down, and I don't particularly catch what's being said -- but I know something's up. The driver is looking at me. She winks suggestively.

Whoa! Here I am, minding my own business and riding my bike and in my own headspace, and I'm being hit on.

She's a cutie. I don't blame her; I'm dressed to the nines......(Trilby, black skinny jacket, white shirt, silver and black checked tie, black drainpipes, pocket square.) cos that's just how I roll.
But never before have I ever been hit on while riding a bike from inside a car at a stoplight. And as a person who studies and practices this kind of stuff (surprise!) I'm really impressed at the audacity and ballsy-ness of the attempt because honestly, even I haven't tried anything that ridiculous before.

So I grin at her and wave back. Is this really happening? It is. But the light is changing.

There's a cry of irritation from the back seat. "Come on! Lets go!" A female voice cries. And it's something that catches me totally off guard. So I hesitate, somewhat confused. Then I grin apologetically. Time to go.

The nature of this particular beast is almost always that the masculine is the initiating party and the feminine is the receiving -- so I'm pretty impressed when it happens, really. Role reversal is always fun albeit slightly disorienting at times. I definitely asked myself, "Did that just happen?"

My critique: She should have been louder initally, more direct in her approach in order to cut through the strangeness of the situation. Her intentions while later on were clearer, should have been apparent from the start. That would have helped.

But kudos for making the move. It's a lesson to be learned and I'll be ready next time. Just like now when the drummer's sister gets her friend to introduce her, I know what to do.

I know it!

-------------------
fiverforthelips prefers drum and bass and will probably be more candid about his adventures in the future.

5 comments:

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

Dude, you got catcalled. What are you going to do next time? Ride fast until she pulls over or throws a business card out the window?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

zekethejewishsatanist said...

:D A cigar is a cigar. You drop the cigar in the mud, or you can smoke it. Or you can give it to Bernice.

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

Fair enough. May the wind always fill your sails, you most ridiculous of persons.

Mr. Skylight said...

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/mis/903483606.html

zekethejewishsatanist said...

dude you found me out!