Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Arts 4 Lyfe

I like working in Schulich.

When I feel motivation slipping away, I get up and take a stroll. I take a peek at some of the titles on the shelves. A quick scan reveals books like "The Electrochemistry and Characteristics of Embeddable Reference Electrodes for Concrete", "Landmark Papers in Yeast Biology", and "Structural Integrity of Fasteners Including the Effects of Environment and Stress Corrosion Cracking".

It reminds me that I like what I do.

Paul who is a ghost doesn't want to knock science or engineering. In fact, he thinks they're pretty wonderful. They just aren't his thang.

6 comments:

mer-triaquatrihydroxoiron(II) said...

When I look at those I think about devoting my entire life to a catalyst. I have yet to decide whether I would be happy with that. But it makes me happy that people have been able to write entire books about that stuff. It reminds me that I definitely have a place in the world. Now I just have to figure out what it is.

Weaselbag said...

If you've taught me anything today, it's that science is full of mysteries. Go forth in your Mystery Machine and meddle, you meddling kid you.

mer-triaquatrihydroxoiron(II) said...

When I sit in the Buddhism class and Bradstein tells us about pigeons coming back to life and the sun being stuck in the sky, I am amused. But in my mind there is a dull sort of panic, and a voice that says, "but what about science? what're you doing to science? SCIENCE!"

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

When I work in the McLennan stacks, I stroll around and see what greater minds have accomplished in the "arts" fields--and I think about how fucked up and incoherent they are, in spite of at least one library full of lives' works. Maybe I should switch libraries.

Bernice said...

landmark papers in yeast biology is really not just a name. it truly is a landmark work, and indeed about yeast biology.

Weaselbag said...

"Optical Nonlinearities in Chalcogenide Glasses and their Applications" actually sounds kind of cool.