Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A dessert is a type of food that is eaten after lunch or dinner. It is usually a sweet food, like ice cream, cookies, and cakes.

I joyfully invite all of you to join me in the enjoyment of Wikipedia's "simple English" capabilities.

It's quite simple really. We all know that Wikipedia is offered in all sorts of languages beyond english, and most of us don't care (english has the most articles anyway)
but as i perused the front page, carefully inspecting all aspects of the website in case I hadn't overlooked anything fun (how many of you know about the picture of the day? .... the random article generator?) i noticed that one of the languages offered was simple english.
This intrigued me.
i didn't know there was another english?
I thought i was fluent in english.
Turns out that simple english only uses basic words, to define mundane objects and express complex concepts (try searching zero, or utilitarianism) with the needs of those new to the language, or the mentally disabled in mind.
It's actually quite fun.
try and stump it...find the loopholes of over simplification (i guarantee you won't), its also quite a relief to read up on famous battles or your favourite historical figures, without the nuisances of overly formal written english.

so enjoy, community

4 comments:

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

I'm very impressed.

None of the pages I thought would be hilariously incomplete--except for the ones that didn't exist--were hilarious at all. In fact they were instructive and clever. Neato.

Incidentally--welcome!

mer-triaquatrihydroxoiron(II) said...

I know, I expected them to be a lot more entertaining. But unfortunately, they were just downright useful. What a shame.

Weaselbag said...

I'm disappointed by the complexity of the article on the 129 Antigone asteroid, frankly.

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

I used WK:SE in the course of trying to figure out what a cumulative probability function was. The regular Wikipedia had too many fuckin' integrals.