Sunday, October 5, 2008

better blogs to come

Why are so few of us ever where we want be?
I’ve been there before. The air is sweet and the drinks are free. Nothing in the world can get you down, because the real world no longer exists. It’s been a while now and I’ve decided I’d like return sometime very soon

There are too many people I love unable to find what they want as they go through life. I believe that we will all find a permanent residency in this place some day. But as we sit around the waiting room, I wish that the visiting hours were not so strictly controlled by some cranky old nanny sitting on his high horse. Programming robots to feel disappointment and regret, only to feel a little better about the fact that she himself created a far from perfect world, and there’s little that can be done about it now.

I am an optimist.
I know better times are coming for all those who truly deserve them. And I’m not talking about happiness on a death bed. Fuck that wait. I mean next Thursday. After my two midterms. Me = drunk of my ass.
Meet me there and bring your umbrella.

Z

3 comments:

Michelle Obama Has a Rabbi in the Family said...

... Ok, assuming I ignore the Christian ideology and the gender confusion, what is going on here...? First of all, let's step back and generalize this shit. Yes, peace or happiness or whatever you want to call it is elusive, and yes, we are surrounded by structures that limit, control, contort and push back that which we desire, and yes, this sentiment is widespread and really fucking tragic. BUT are we really being persecuted by some larger force beyond our own conflicting personal values and ideologies? I have a hard time mentally relinquishing control of my life to the forces (or nanny) you are describing, in fact I find it impossible. T.C., let's not cast blame here, I prefer to simply act. I feel that you might agree with me when I say this; that what we really want is simply to feel in control. To feel like your (and our) hopes rest at least in part in our own hands and that we have a valid reason to hope that - to borrow your phrase - we will end up where we want to be. Basically, determinism blows... and this shit is personal!

I might be missing an important facet of your point though so let's bring this back to earth. Clearly I am a being a big jerk and ignoring the fact that this post is a rallying cry... and a wonderfully liberated (all be it a teensy bit nihilistic) one at that. And also it should definitely be noted that although this shit is personal, you are describing a very generally observed phenomena. I think the only answer is exactly what you are suggesting; to say fuck you to waiting and simply act in whatever capacity you can.

The fact is that the world is not perfect and this is OK, and we are not perfect and this is also OK. Maybe though we can make things feel a little more like paradise.

Don't you worry your sweet little head T.C. we'll get to this place you are describing, even if it's not forever. I've got your back playa...

Maybe I am over analyzing this but whatevs... that is half the fun. I'll see you all at that open bar where the air is sweet... and I'm bringing a towel.

Michelle Obama Has a Rabbi in the Family said...

Sigh... brevity is the soul of wit... What up?

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

Je suis prêt, mon ami.