Tuesday, March 24, 2009

i miss people

the sketch comedy / musical show i was in just finished its run last week (it was great, thanks). the problem now is that all these people that i have been so intensely rehearsing with are out of my life. it honestly went from seeing them all for 18 hours a day to 0. it's kind of brutal.

i remember talking to momfunny about the concept of friendship, and the idea that friendship exists out of a necessity to proximity. if you're around someone a lot, it's more convenient to be friends with them than not.

so what happens when you remove the proximity part? how long can the "i still want to be your friend even though i never see you" last?

i suppose the solution is in manufacturing more proximity, but sometimes it's tough to do that organically.

anything with the word reunion in it usually is a terrible solution.

kudos to DT for making a great and unique way to keep in touch.

3 comments:

Eagle Ray said...

Thank you to your mom for confriming that friendship is a product of proximity. That's what second year has taught me. sigh.

My mom thinks I'm funny said...

It's worth the effort... Make calls; do lunches. It's cheesy as fuck to say, "Wouldn't you like it if somebody from that cast called YOU and asked to see a play/see a movie/have lunch?" But it's true--you probably would, just as they probably would.

Just fucking call them and set a date. That's all I've learned.

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that the people who matter to me never really drop out of my life. Even if I don't see them for months at a time, when I do it's like nothing has changed. And those who do fall off into the periphery--never upset me as much as I'd feared they would. We learn how much we care by whether or not we let go--so the ones we lose are never as important as we think they will be.