Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Miracle on Rice





To many Americans, our true north strong and free's obsession with tonight's big honkin' game is worthy of a jape or two.
Why's that? Simply put, the team, the fans, and the entire US Olympic Machine has nothing to lose. They've already won more medals at a single winter olympics than any other country ever, and their hockey team wasn't supposed to be here tonight. Seriously, utterly, literally, they weren't supposed to be here tonight.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen another 13-day stretch of better hockey. The tournament has been excellent, and whatever happens tonight, we'll all be thrilled and entertained. Go Canada, but if the US team with their top-of-the-world goalie and youngest-average-age-in-the-tournament wins, that's one hell of a story, too.

Embrace the game, friends. Should be one for the ages.

2 comments:

Elvis Thrust said...

I want to be funny or snarky but there's no point. All I know is that I'm happy to be conscious of where I was when Crosby scored the goal. You could argue that we shouldn't have won it; hell, considering the identical third periods we played with the US and Slovakia, and considering our team's decision to take the road less travelled, you might just say it was a whole lot of luck and playing well at just the right moments--really, a macrocosm of Crosby's play all tournament, I'd say. But the same can be said about the scrappy US team, which puts fear in my heart not just because they came in second with the youngest team, a team that wasn't supposed to even medal, but also because they won the World Juniors in a doppelganger of a game.

We may not have owned the podium, but fuck, our country's awesome.

My mom thinks I'm funny said...

This was probably the best hockey game I've ever seen. And I've seen about seven.

There's something cinematic about having all that conclude the way it did, with the overtime and the first round loss and the fact that a Nova Scotian won the game - and consequently perhaps even some fabled "key to the country" - while I was in the province.

But, let's not kid ourselves, it's mostly because we won.