Thursday, January 14, 2010

"Avatar" hated by Marines, the Vatican

In what is, for me, the best story of the year, Avatar has garnered criticism from liberals, conservatives, the Marine Corps, the Vatican and its own fans for being too white-washed, too critical, too stereotypical, too sacrilegious and too beautiful for mere humans, respectively.

And here I was thinking the plot was basic--what a fool I was! Turns out it's actually deeply offensive on a number of levels I could have never predicted. Oh well!

2 comments:

I Can't Give You Anything but Love said...

“Let's view Avatar for what it is, a leap in the wizardry of cinema, a digital fantasy and a vehicle for a filmmaker to make a statement, but not emblematic of the Marines who honourably fight and fall to win our nation's real battles today.”

The Kid said...

more important than any of that.. it is offensive because it sucks.