Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Talkin' Bruce with George Elliott Clarke

And he's won the Order of Canada.

He came to King's to read from his newest and ninth book of poems, I & I, and partook in a little reception at the campus bar afterward. I discovered an old issue of The Watch (our university paper--of which I am now the Editor-in-Chief, by the by) in the office archives featuring an interview with him from 2001.

The Watch office now features the March 2001 issue hanging on the wall, sporting the phrase, "This is really bizzare! - George Elliott Clarke (2009)". Of which I am pretty proud.

If you ever get a chance to read his poems, I recommend it. He cited poetic inspirations such as Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen, the latter of which we discussed for about five minutes at the reception while the few people behind me stood impatiently in line.

Turns out we're both big fans of "The River". Who knew?

1 comment:

Weaselbag said...

"Currently, he is scheduled to hold readings in April 2009 in Nova Scotia, where he owns land."

He's an Officer of the Order of Canada AND he's a landowner?

Dude's got it all.