Monday, April 13, 2009

The old fashioned way

I've been doing a lot of writing lately (not the good/fun kind, just papers and reports), and I'm slowly realizing that I can only produce quality (i.e. "quality") if I write things on paper first. I can't be productive if I'm writing on the computer. It just won't happen.

At first I thought it was a problem with having too many distractions around online and on my computer. Then I moved to my mother's old laptop with essentially no functionally aside from word processing, but it still didn't happen.

I think it has something to do with needing something physical and tactile. A computer doesn't give me a sense of accomplishment. It's much more satisfying writing 15 pages on lined paper with my trusty ink pen than typing the same amount on a computer. Screw ease of editing, I want my draft to look like some sort of surreal apocalypse wasteland. Plus, I find it incredibly stress relieving putting on some music and going through and transcribing my scrawlings onto the computer when it's ready.

If I wrote this post on paper before typing it up, it would probably be 38% more interesting and I probably would have felt like I accomplished something by not writing my formal lab report.

Instead, now I have two hours to get it done and I'm feeling a little bit like Jake when he morphed into a rabbit and got trapped in a box but had to morph back before his time ran out or else he would get stuck as a rabbit forever.

5 comments:

Bernice said...

it's funny - i never, ever write papers double spaced.
i write them, edit them, read them, all in single spaced, doubling them is the very last thing i do before i print.

it's also very exciting to see the length of what you wrote double.

My mom thinks I'm funny said...

I ditto Bernice. Except for when I'm stuck in the middle (with you?) and need to feel like I've accomplished twice as much to give me the necessary juice to thrust the rest of the way there.

Speaking of which--to 2000 words on Jürgen Habermas! Hurray!

octopus finds new furniture said...

i used to do that too, but the little word count indicator in microsoft word kind of ruins the fun of it. double spacing won't double your word count.

Ashton Kutcher said...

Hey man I remember when Jake got trapped in the box. That was scary shit. Yeerk yeerk yeerk.

Sincerely
Ashton Kutcher

Larry King said...

Hey Ashton,

Congrats on the one million.

Larry King.