Monday, February 2, 2009

Studying, for a change...

I'm not a big studier. Actually, I pretty much just don't study ever and then freak out at the last minute and try to cram and fail. I am fantastic at procrastinating and not giving school any of the importance it deserves, and I generally live my life not really caring about it. I choose to do other things with my time, like play Super Mario Galaxy, or drink beer, or sit in my room listening to weird music and staring at the clouds through the skylight (when it's not covered in snow). It makes for a pretty interesting life. That being said, I've realized that when I actually do study, it excites the shit out of me.

I remember studying for a Molecular Biology exam last semester at the last minute, not having gone to any of the lectures, and trying to watch 11 of them on the day before the exam. I spent about 18 hours at the library, and the mundane processes of DNA became the most interesting thing in my life. Because really, chemical processes aside, DNA does the coolest things. And it's weird knowing how much it has evolved, and how it has developed to compensate for the malfunctions that are bound to occur (it even adds on nonsense bases before the important part so that even if it doesn't start replicating from the absolute start, nothing is missed (zOMFG!)).

Today I spent the entire day learning about the history, culture and traditions of Judaism. Reading about the different denominations of Judaism, I began to draw comparisons with the sects of Islam, or the similarities between Kabbalah and Hinduism. In the past few days I've read pieces of the Bible, the Quran, and both Martin Luther and Hitler's writings about Jews. I don't know why but it made me irrationally happy just to know the stuff.

And I've realized that it's not just studying. I'll read a random article about the GPS revolution, or the Formula 1 controversy of 2006, and every little bit of it makes me really happy. Now, the thing that I can't understand is why I don't do it more. If I like learning so much, why the hell don't I stop playing MouseHunt and actually read a little? Why do I choose to surf facebook instead of listening to my professor? Why do I lay in bed all day not doing anything when I could be learning about the marvels of simple molecule manipulation that stops a cancer medicine from destroying a patient's heart? Because I don't think any of it is boring (except for math, I fucking hate math). Everything else is ridiculously interesting. The world is incredibly interesting. So why do I still sit on the couch like a zombie watching House season 2?

Love,
Mer

5 comments:

Mr. Skylight said...

I highly recommend 30 rock

Bernice said...

what jewish history class are you in?

mer-triaquatrihydroxoiron(II) said...

it's not jewish history, it's judaism, christianity and islam. today is the judaism midterm and then i'm done with that, christianity begins on wednesday.

Weaselbag said...

THE END OF JUDAISM AS WE KNOW IT begins on Wednesday, I think you mean.

Eagle Ray said...

i need read more too