Wednesday, June 25, 2008

SkyNet

Since I got out here, I've made a point of checking up on DT at least once a week, to see if the Party in its wisdom had changed its mind about blocking blog sites. Today, June 25 (nearly a month after the last post), I got in. I felt like Matthew Broderick in War Games. Yes! I cracked the system! Now that decadent, buttery feeling can be mine again. WWIII also a possibility.

I walked into a Starbucks yesterday, just to do some studying, and as soon as I crossed the threshold I was transported. Not to my home town, although there are Starbuxes aplenty--but to the one on Maisonneuve at Union, by the KPMG tower. I don't think I've ever been inside, but I know in my bones that's where I was teleported to. Now, it's peculiar that I went to Montreal rather than the city I used to call home. It's also strange that I didn't teleport to a more familiar Starbucks in the same city. Now that I think of it, it's weird that it was open at 3:30 AM EST.

I hope someone's out there. I miss you guys.

1 comment:

Bernice said...

i feel whats most interesting here (aside from the notion that starbucks, a company essentially built on familiarity and ubiquity has built its own levels of uniqueness to the point where one specific starbucks on one side of the world reminds you entirely of another specific starbucks on the complete other side of the world) is that to me, the idea that there is a starbucks in beijing is ridiculous and shocking.
beijing seems so otherworldly, the thought of a starbucks, mcdonalds, or niketown in china blows my mind because theyre everywhere here, and also in what might as well be candyland (if candy was noodles, dirty cigarettes, and the olympics).
you can be on the other side of the world, in a different language, culture, etc, and still find the same vices and logos.
neat stuff.
as well
how cool/funny is that building Big Shorts.
that shit is wack