Thursday, February 7, 2008

Selective Memory

I was walking down University Street, Wednesday morning at about 11:25 am. Not late to class, but I have the tendency to test myself and see how fast I can make it to class. I won't leave my room until the last possible moment I can, to make it perfectly on time to class. I end up semi-sprinting down the hill, passing all the kiddies doubled up on the sidewalks, New York style, probably with a path of destruction in my way.
Anyways, I was in kind of a hurry. I ran into one of my frosh leaders whom I hadn't seen in months. I was pretty surprised that she recognized me, actually. I recognized her...but for some reason I felt like an underclassman again, just happy that someone remembered me enough to select me from a crowd and say hi. We shot the breeze for a couple of minutes, and I was happy to see her but I was also mid-sprint. There was also that awkward moment after she asked how life was, where I didn't quite know what to say. I tried to think of things I've been up to, and I reverted to my line "I'm always busy, but I couldn't tell you what I'm doing" because it seems to communicate my overall feeling towards the chaos that is university life. We said "see you around" or some bullshit, but I guess its inevitable we will, and next time it will be just as meaningless, but just as comforting. A reassurance that I am still the same person I was in August, at least on the outside.
50 feet further down University, I hear a car honk to my right. There's this dude waving manically through his window at me, a shit-eating grin on his face. It's like he hasn't seen me for three months, and all of a sudden we are best friends reunited. But I've never seen this guy in my life. I put up a hand, smile, taking a moment to make sure I don't know him, and continue on my way. This happens to me a lot. Whenever I meet someone, they tell me their cousin looks just like me, or I remind them of their camp friend, or even better..."Did you go to such-and-such Hebrew School?" One time I was telling my Dad about it in a restaurant, and 5 minutes later, the woman at the next table asked me if I had been in L.A. in the summer of 2004, because a girl had walked into her Mac store that looked just like me.
So I keep walking, thinking about all of these things, and outside the frat house, a girl in a touque (spell check??) gives me a huge grin, a wave and a "Hi!" as she passes me on the sidewalk. I have never seen her in my life either.
I touch my face. Did I wake up this morning with a new one? I look at my shadow, thinking itll show me my altered identity. But it doesn't. And furthermore, I was recognized by the frosh leader as who I was in August...did I pass out during Frosh and meet a bunch of random-ass people and make a bunch of friends that I don't remember?
It's a distinct possibility...

1 comment:

Mr. Skylight said...

Capitalize on your overly familiar appearance. Give strangers hugs more often, and ask them how they've been since you last saw them. Tell them you don't have their new number and get their digits. Call them regularly and tell them about everything that's going on in your life, no matter how personal the subject matter is or how uncomfortable they are. Win-win situation.

Peace,

-Frankie baby